2005 Nature High Summer Camp
Post Participant Survey
1. Currently how aware and knowledgeable are you about career opportunities and the work associated with natural resources management and agriculture?
a) Not at all 0
2. Currently how interested are you in the natural resource issues in your community?
a) Not at all 0
3. Currently how committed are you to doing your college studies and career in the area of science (and/or natural resource management/agriculture)?
a) Not at all 0
4. How much do you know about such things: college entrance requirements, the courses that you need to take in high school in order to prepare for college, how to apply for college admissions and college financial aid?
a) Not at all 0
5. When I arrived at camp, I felt:
· Very Welcome, counselors were welcoming **
· Like the only normal person
· Shy to the extreme **
· Excited ****
· Happy *
· A bit nervous, didn’t have any idea how it was going to be ****
· Don’t remember
· That everyone would be nerdy, but that there would be a lot of fun activities and opportunities
· Kids were awesome
· Worried about whether or not I could get up at 6:00 am
· I would hang out with the same people
· Like it was going to be boring and that I wasn’t going to have a good time
· Didn’t really want to do anything, and maybe the place we live are going to be bad
· Ready to enjoy the nature and ready to learn
· Worried that I wouldn’t meet any friends
· Full of anticipation
· Terrified, didn’t really want to come, I was dreading it
· Out of place
6. Now that the week is over I feel:
· Happy ***
· Glad I came, I learned a lot while having fun with great people **
· Sad ****
· That I don’t want to go home! **
· So much more knowledgeable ***
· Like I want to come back
· A great deal more interested in natural resources *
· Like I have met a lot of new people
· It was awesome
· Itchy allover (mosquitos)
· Great, fun and educational
· Great to go home
· Excited, head is stuffed
· Great that I have awesome friends and I love the camp!!
· Like we’re friends
7. How would you rate the Great Basin Experiment Education Center (GBEEC)?
a) Not so good 0
· I love the counselors *
· It’s a beautiful place *
· I really enjoyed the speakers
· Thanks Caytee and Haileigh you made this week great!!
· It was a lot of fun *****
· Educational, I hope I can come back next year
· It’s a cool place ***
· Good environment, setting
· Good facility, little crowded
· More free time and sleep. Also toilet paper in the bathroom and blinds for the bathroom (we had cold showers). Movie was way too long. Go to bed earlier or sleep in longer.
· It was awesome and good camp staff but maybe if possible better FOOD!
· Keep same stuff
· Nice cabins, awesome people!!!
· Kill the mosquitoes, they are evil!!!
· It was nice to come up here to study natural sciences
· The camp is excellent. I enjoy being able to walk 30 ft and find a quiet spot I can sit and think or enjoy the nature.
· Caytee and Hayley are so fun!!
· It’s really great how they work so hard to educate young people about real issues
8. How would you rate the Land Use Scenario activity?
a) Not so good 1
9. What was the most interesting thing you learned about natural resources?
· That they’re all related *
· That you need to be careful, everything can be harmful
· There’s so much going on, so many things to consider and so many people and issues involved. It’s much more complex and deep than I ever thought. *
· Range is a blast!
· That the steeper the land the harder it is to get at the wood
· That there are a lot of jobs using them
· Just the overall view and understanding I gained was excellent
· Soils with Beth
· Stumps are used to shade new trees and aid them in growth
· About water and its paths
· Do I have to pick just one? There are twelve different categories of soil
· How many fields of study there are and that we need a balance between conservation and free use of resources!
· Aquatic biology, the components of the soil, the natural cycles of things (such as mother natures process of recycling trees), oh gosh, like everything. I love biological things and math, so everything was so interesting.
· That solutions lie in happy mediums and environmentalists aren’t psycho
· I thought that I learned a lot of interesting things about trees
· Biodiversity is important in maintaining an ecological balance
· How to take a tree core
· Diane’s job
· They’re use to each other!
· How valuable they are
· How catis flies make their homes
· Bugs with Rafael
10. Please rate the following professionals and their investigations.
· It was fun, I just wish there was a little more hands on things
· I love how accrual professionals came and spent their time to teach us. They did great, thanks.
· They’re great!! **
· I enjoyed the teachers the information and hands on combo helps me understand things better. I really enjoyed the chance to learn.
· They were fun/cool *
· Rafael was awesome. So was Diane.
· I liked Larry’s water measurement experience is really nice, I had a lot of fun
· Loved Larry and presentation ALL the leaders were awesome and so friendly
· All of them are funny and cool to be around
· They were awesome learned a ton with all of them and enjoyed it a ton ***
· All very excited, time was a little long
· I really loved forestry, range and soils. They taught very well and it was fun and I learned.
· I thought it was pretty interesting, but sometimes it was pretty boring. I didn’t learn as much as I wanted about wildlife, but that’s okay.
· All were very precise and kept things fun
· I enjoyed all of them and how they included hands on stuff
· Larry helped each person and was very touching!
11. My team’s group leader was?
a) Not so good 1
· More involved
· He’s fun! But knows when to be serious, he’s awesome
· Loved her!! **
· Although he knew whatever we wanted to ask he liked to have us learn for ourselves which help in the scenario
· Fun, kind, way cool!!!!! Friendly!!!! **
· Mariah was really good at bringing the group together
· She was fun and put a good spin on things
· Very responsible and didn’t baby us
· Concentrated, had fun, included everyone, and knowledgeable
· She wouldn’t help out so much
· Good enthusiasm and shadow leadership
· She has a gentle, caring and understanding natured. She’s a great person.
· Val was awesome
· Mariah was an awesome leader who knows how to have fun
· Loved being in her group
12. How would you rate the team building games:
a) Not so good 0
· I learned a lot! But at times it was frustrating
· Really fun but find something new to do
· The games were fun and really help us learn to work as a team *
· They were fun **
· Got a little out of hand one time…
· Like the game a lot, not so much the talk
· Totally awesome, excellent lessons and so much fun. I love the challenge and especially how it taught teamwork and brought us so much closer to each other *
· They were challenging and fun
· They got more enjoyable as they went along
· They made you think different
· I loved them, you got to know people better and bond
· Easy, need harder ones
· People got too involved in the learning part and not having fun
· I really enjoyed having to work as a team *
· I learned to work together
· Working together as a team is something very important to learn early on
13. How was your overall camp experience?
a) Not so good 0
· It’s so fun! I’m coming back next year! ***
· The quiet is nice and so are the people. Having people interested in the same things is really good.
· It was amazing
· Some activities, like the 3 hour movie, dragged
· Way nice, the people and the FOOD!!!
· Loved it *
· First camp I’ve ever been to, I’d say it’d be hard to follow it up
· Good bunks, showers, awesome staff and amazing professionals
· It was the best/great!!!! *
· Too much time planned for activities
· The scenario was stressful and they didn’t give us enough info. They were making us care too much and think too much (it’s summer) and took it too seriously.
· It was fun and I learned a lot of new things
· Don’t want to leave!
14. Would you recommend this natural resources camp to other high school students?
Yes 25 No 0
· I’d just tell them it was a blast
· Yeah like everybody!
· They would love
· It was a good experience *
· I would!!!
· Definitely! *
· Very good experience
· They must come!
· It was overall good
· To my friends
· I’ll be getting friends to go!
15. What could we do to improve this Natural Resources Camp?
· More of all people, not just groups
· The Greatest Good movie was way too long
· Naptime!!! Please **
· Make it longer, there is so much to learn ****
· Keep it the same, keep Larry **
· Replace activities that drag with more hands on activities that people will pay attention to
· Kill the flies and mosquitos!!!!
· Keep doing it – get more people (students)
· It’s perfect and my suggestion of more sleep time would be ignored anyway
· More background on scenarios but it was a great learning experience and want to come back
· Sleep *, free time ***, bathroom curtain
· New name, more learning, less scenario, easily could be a day shorter, need more kids, closer age group
· Give us more info in the scenario, don’t take it too seriously, have one definite leader. It was okay at the end, but it put a black haze over a lot of the week. I did learn things, however.
· Get rid of the cheers in the “Olympics” and shorten some of the times with the professionals, it got boring sometimes.
· It was just fine
· Earlier bedtime, later rising time!!
· I don’t know if it’s possible, but a recycling system
* indicates the comment was repeated multiple times.